Sunday, May 15, 2011

Celebrating Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!


In honor of National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day, I am back. I have actually been at it for a while, reviewing recipes, taking photos, making my family eat failures and accomplishments alike! So, because of this wonderful day where we recognize the impact that Chocolate Chip Cookies have had on our lives, I decided that is what I would start with. I have been quite an Annie's Eats fan for some time now, and she was the one who actually brought this day to my attention, and because of that, I decided I would make her all time favorite CCC recipe. It was delicious. I have reviewed quite a few of her recipes as of late and some have worked, and some, well, not so much. I will post about what NOT to make later.

My best friend, also known as Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, went on the fritz about 2 weeks ago and I had to send it back. I have yet to get my new one and am about to start a protest, so I had to use my hand mixer for these. Normally that is fine, but mine has an exceptional quality that involves blasting the flour all over the kitchen if you hold it at the wrong angle. For some reason I always forget about aforementioned quality, I should take a picture of the damage one of these days.

Anyways, on to bigger and better things. My goal is to review a recipe a week, and to also share my failures - what if you attempt to make the dud of a recipe that I just did, and I could have saved you from all the work and money? I have also decided that when I post recipes I will ALWAYS put them in Canadian measurments. This has become my new pet peeve: happening upon recipes that have multiple styles of measurment which involves a half hour google search to figure out what it all means.

So without further ado, here is Annie's recipe.

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2 cups + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter - melted and cooled
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.
Whisk first 3 ingredients together, set aside.
Mix together butter and sugars until combined. Beat in egg, yolk & vanilla.
Add dry ingredients and mix JUST until combined.
Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
I find cookies bake best on a stone, so use this if you can. Bake at 375 for 11 minutes or so.

Enjoy, because I know you will!

Source: annieseats.com, adapted from Blonde Ambition in the Kitchen, originally from Baking Illustrated

Next up: Pesto, Chicken & Parmasan Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment