Friday, September 2, 2011

Grilled Chicken Fajitas


Yikes!  Where have I been?  But, rest assured, I will always come back to share my culinery adventures with you!  As I write, my mixer is providing me with some background noise as it blends together a cupcake concoction!  I am finally able to think about cupcakes without getting dry heaves - what a miracle!  For 9 months of pregnancy I was not able to even think about making one, and now, as both babies sleep, and I should be sleeping, I am making cupcakes instead.

But enough about cupcakes, because as fall is approaching I need to share with you a recipe to give your BBQ one last hurrah!  I have made these almost once a week this summer; that's how great they are.  So, because it is a fine summers day, with a hint of fall in the air at nights, pull out the BBQ, blend up some margaritas and grill up some smoky fajitas! 

Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Ingredients:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1½ tsp. brown sugar
1 jalapeño, seeded, ribbed and diced
1½ tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. pepper
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 large red onion, sliced
2 large bell peppers, sliced
8-12 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vegetable oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade; set aside.  Place the chicken breast in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.  In a bowl, toss remaining marinade with onions and peppers and then season with salt and pepper.

Place chicken on BBQ, and the veggies in a well oiled metal baking dish on the grill as well - keep an eye on the veggies as they will char quickly if unsupervised!

When the chicken is cooked through, let cool for several minutes before slicing.  Warm up the tortillas, pile on the chicken and veggies and sprinkle cheese and sour cream over top. Sooo yum!

Source: Cooks Illustrated, via Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment